Annaberg Sugar Plantation




Annaberg Sugar Plantation

Site Information

Country: U.S. Virgin Islands
State: St. John
Location: 18° 21' 45" N - 64° 43' 46" W
Field Documentation Date(s): To be determined
Project Release Date(s): To be determined
Time Range: 1718 CE - 1956 CE
Era: 18th-19th
world map with location

Copy of V10 point cloud and UX5 surface model 3(2)

Site Description

more

Situated on St. John’s Island in the eastern Caribbean, the Virgin Islands National Park preserves the ruins of the Annaberg sugar plantation, the finest remaining example of Danish Colonial Era industrial agriculture in the Virgin Islands. A modest holding when it was established in 1722, the plantation was enlarged and modernized in 1796 when James Murphy purchased and consolidated several plantations, adding the largest windmill on the island and a sugar factory. The ruins of the Annaberg plantation encompass the enslaved laborers’ village and factory site where they worked. Overlooking the plantation are the remains of the guardhouse, which ensured the slaves’ captivity. Today, the Annaberg plantation depicts the daily lives of an enslaved people and traces their resistance to slavery.
return to top